Uncle Odie's Collectibles

Wednesday, October 31, 2007

Irwin Allen Merchadise Update 10-19-7

By Ron Gross:


There is a new model kit company who has vowed to pick up where Polar Lights left off. Moebius Models (http://www.moebiusmodels.com), owned and operated by Frank Winspur, has acquired a license from Kevin Burns and "The Fantasy Worlds of Irwin Allen" to produce genuine styrene plastic model kits of various Irwin Allen properties. Unlike many of the fine resin-cast and vacu-formed offerings from smaller companies that have limited distribution, these products will be available in selected retail stores, as well as via on-line ordering. Frank has also secured the services of Polar Lights master mind Dave Metzner, as well as the artistic services of both Chris White, and I'm proud to say, myself.


As I write this, I have just returned from the iHobby Expo in Chicago, a huge event where much of this information, including prototype displays, was released to the public for the first time. The first Irwin Allen-related product will be a 39-inch model kit of the Seaview, with beautiful box art supplied by Chris. This project has actually been known for a while, but the two new surprises I am now able to announce are both a 1/24th scale Space Pod and Chariot. I was proud to have been asked to supply the art work for the Space Pod, and I will post a link as soon as the Moebius web site is updated. Having seen these prototypes, I can report that they will have impeccable detail and accuracy, although a few final details are still being worked out. Availability is currently scheduled for early next year.


As for future projects, I can't officially comment, except to generally state that various other popular IA subjects are currently on the table. It was on October 16,1997 (if you can believe it) that I cut my original deal with Polar Lights to supply design information and box art for the original Jupiter-2 kit. And now, ten years later, it looks like we will have a chance to have the same kind of fun all over again. When there is something new to announce officially, however, you will likely see it here first.


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home